Friday, May 11, 2018

My Journey to Becoming an Author 2


My experience with Self-publishing my books

I started self-publishing because I could not reach any publisher who was interested in my books. One thing I discovered as I matured as an author was that I was always in haste, the result is that my books were always full of many mistakes. One time I gave somebody my typed out manuscript and he asked me if I went through the manuscript before bringing it to him. This was because of the obvious mistakes I could have seen and corrected myself. Another time somebody who was going to buy the second edition of my first book commented that the first edition was better than the second.
It is either that I never knew that there were professional editors or I preferred the hasty editing my friends and family did for me. Then I will rush to a printer whose only interest was the money he will make. He has no technical knowledge about books. He will look at the manuscript and quote a price while I am emphasizing that I must have the book by xxx date because we are having the anniversary of my ministry. Then I will negotiate and I cannot remember anyone turning down the book, they simply gave me what my money was worth and that is by their definition. The cost was always more than I could afford and that will lead to the second side of the gamble; “Ok, pastor, bring what you have (meaning money), I will print the book for you and give you as much as your money is worth or a little over (by his estimate); when you have sold you can come and take more after paying your debt”. So I will hit the street trying to make more money for the printer. When I started self-publishing, I discovered that my first installment had covered his production cost and he was only waiting for additional profit.
I had some experience as a printer, so added that up. I gave my manuscripts to typists in a business center and you already know the story. With very meager income it took me a long time to produce the book. Take a look at the kind of thing you read in my finished book those days –
“So Goat said to Elijam, get us from where you ate siting ans speak thus to Arab
So Elijah sold to te prophet of baal, fire came down”.

I know you would be wondering what level I stopped my school to write so poorly. But wait let me show you what I actually wrote for the typist –

“So God said to Elijah, get up from where you are sitting and speak thus to Ahab.
So Elijah said to the prophets of Baal,…………

There were omissions and the typist continued from where she liked. Anybody who tried self-publishing in those days will obviously have similar story to tell. Luckily today things have changed. All over the internet there are those who will help you in self-publishing and there are software programs that will help minimize such errors. To my joy today I type my books myself on my laptop or PC.

Another challenge with self-publishing is marketing; let me confess that God really assisted me in marketing my books. How to Be Delivered and Remain Delivered was eighteen pages at its first edition (it is a bigger book now). The initial title was How to be Delivered but Dr. B C Mbata added, AND REMAIN DELIVERED. Prof. Fyne Nsofor did for me what I do for authors today; even though I was ready to run to the press, he told me that my book was just skeleton.

He said, “Emma this is only skeleton, go and give flesh to your book. The information is good but will rarely make sense to your readers”.

That was the first time I heard that kind of comment. All others who saw the book screamed and said, “Emma, this is great! When will you print it? Please I will like to have a copy.”

Having printed after obeying Prof. Nsofor’s instruction I went out to try to market. A brother in St. James Anglican Church, Uzii Street, Moses Mbagwu who was doubling as leader of the Evangelical Fellowship in the Anglican Communion (EFAC) and Scripture Group leader was the first person to introduce my writing to Scripture Union. I gave out many for free and those I gave appreciated with cash. Within three months the one thousand copies were gone but to be candid they were not all sold out. Some were lost in circulation; I got tired of following up for payment for some. Yet, the money I got for encouragement covered my cost.

Most authors will confess they were not so lucky. Rev Okey Akiri of Oil of Joy Ministries Port Harcourt decided to write a book when he observed how his members rushed for my books. He printed five hundred copies for a trial. One day I went to visit him;

He said, “Brother Emma, please can you tell me how you market those books of yours. The five hundred I printed are still intact, save for the ones I gave out free”.

I have to point this out because I believe God’s grace followed my books. Besides God’s grace there are technicalities in book writing, making and publishing which enhance sales. Some of the books that are above hundred pages today were eighteen page books. In the view of my critiques I sold them expensive but they don’t know why people will buy eighteen pages book for hundred Naira but will not pay fifty Naira for two hundred pages book.

Some of these secrets I will be teaching in my coaching classes for young authors. Confronting Witchcraft in the Neighborhood, How to Overcome Spirit Husband/Wife Problem, Right Ways to Fast and Pray were all eighteen pages books which I sold for hundred Naira. They were written while in Port Harcourt. They neither were full color nor digitally designed but they sold fast.

Most young authors think that all they need to get their books sold is to make it beautiful. How wrong they are. Again what amateur mind may call beautiful may be disgusting to a professional.
One last thing before we move over, even if your books have no problems in packaging, self-publishing can only assist you when you have few copies. As my writing ministry grew so were the demand and the cost for reprint. Sometimes people will call from a far away city asking for ten copies of my books. In this case the cost of transport will be far above the cost of the book. But if you cannot get the book there you only make room for pirates. One day Prof. Kontein Trinya called to tell me he saw my book, Pastor Lucas’ Church in Ibadan and I asked him to buy some copies. There were other callers from Lagos and other South West Cities of Nigeria.
I remember that I sent self-published copy of the book to Scripture Union Press and Books with the help of Rev. Cefas who was heading SU regional headquarters in Port Harcourt then. I proposed we discuss terms for publishing but before I knew it was in the market. They wanted God’s Word to run fast but I point out that due process should not be taken for granted.

I will be pouring out my heart in this coaching process, I will reveal all my secrets and guide you on how to take advantage of who you are, where you are and what you know and develop yourself into a successful author

Tighten your seatbelt.

Emma your brother @PNUR

No comments:

Post a Comment